Thread: Licensed Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-27, 13:43   Link #1098
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is certainly where we differ....
We differ a lot, lol. Negima, Madoka, SoreDemo and especially Natsu no Arashi (and Arakawa) are not among the Shinbou works I have most enjoyed. Those would be Cossette, Tsukuyomi, Bakemonogatari, Vampire Bund, and this. To me, what you call "pretentiousness" is intelligence and art. Shinbou has clearly imbibed a lot of modern art, which elevates his work.

The visual techniques you and others dislike usually convey aesthetic, emotional and/or narrative meaning to me. Seeing only a bit of something, for example, can give a feeling of intimate presence in a scene. Seeing a character from an odd angle can convey the character's unsettled mood (e.g., Ryuuko on the steps at the beginning of ep6).

"Letting the material speak for itself" seems to me often to mean presenting it in a conventional and pedestrian way. As in Cross Game, Seirei no Moribito (which I did enjoy, despite that) and even to some extent AnoHana (which I'm also enjoying).

It's great that we can differ so much and still enjoy some of the same shows.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote