View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 19:21   Link #131
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
With other tsunderes, does the predictability of her dere side make you like it less when she starts to show that dere side?

I thought that the whole point of tsunderes was taking enjoyment out of seeing a character with a harsh and abrasive personality gradually become nicer and sweeter; that watching this character development in progress is what makes a tsundere compelling.

Was I wrong about that?
Well, a) I don't think you're ever going to find tsundere characters appealing by analysing the appeal from an abstract third-party point of view.

But anyway, b) the key thing about tsundere characters is that both their tsuntsun and deredere personalities are actually signs of love. This is a sort of unspoken rule of (most) eroge because you know that, if the heroine has a route, she's going to fall in love with the protagonist. Seeing the protagonist eventually win over the heroine to reveal the deredere side is part of the appeal (and the contrast makes the change that much sweeter), but just knowing that the whole tsuntsun "front" is a lie has a way of making the whole thing endearing. So the appeal isn't only in the "change", but also in the lead-up before the change occurs knowing that it's going to happen eventually. You perceive every action differently with that guidance in mind.

So, if you really want to "get it", every time you see Kirino acting rude towards Kyousuke, just remind yourself: she's only acting this way because she's easily embarrassed and can't be honest about her true feelings, and the truth is she loves him. You don't have to have absolutely undeniable proof of this (guaranteed it'll happen at least to some degree); that's simply the "understanding" any eroge player would have about her character. It's as close as we get to eroge law. With that understanding, you may begin to see the appeal in Kirino's character. Or you may still not be able to get over her actions. You certainly may still find her frustrating at times. There's a reason the player in Kirino's game had the two options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I too watch this show to see the progression of the siblings' relationship and Kirino's plight of being an otaku in a society that looks down on them.
For reference, I've never felt the show was about that from day one. To me, it's about a guy who had just wanted to live a normal life having his reality turned upside down when he discovered his estranged but seemingly-perfect sister was living a double-life. Thematically-appropriate hijinks and craziness ensue and -- who knows -- Kyousuke may just end up falling in love with someone by the end of the story. Regardless, his life will have changed through the experience.

I don't think it's necessarily your fault for expecting something different... but I don't know to what degree your interpretation was intended by the author (beyond the fact that the show continues to draw attention to the fact that some find Kirino intolerable).