View Single Post
Old 2008-10-28, 07:22   Link #5
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
I'm starting this thread to focus on STYLING, not karaoke or AE overlay animation. Keep it on topic and share your styling opinions, experience, help, etc...
But most of the styling I do is in After Effects (except the font for dialogue.. but choosing that is just a one time thing).

Quote:
The majority of the time with English character sets in a kanji font you find that the characters are mono-spaced. Mono-spacing on English is some ugly shit generally. Also there may be 10-20 kanji fonts that all match the one in the anime yet have different English character sets or set encodings.
DFPGothic and DFGGothic are not monospaced, DFGothic is.. also.. welcome to the 21st century where there are tools that easily convert a monospaced japanese font to something that looks normal for latin alphabet. (Still not perfect though, but 99% of the people don't notice that). Also.. DFPHSMincho is different from DFPMincho eventhough the kanji look almost exactly the same; the latin alphabet is clearly different though (I prefer DFPHSMincho because it gives the same feeling).

Quote:
I personally have found that while checking the matching kanji font than looking at it's English typeface is a good starting point, it is not the end all. More often than not I find that an English based font much better represents the style and motif of the kanji typeface you wish to mimic.
Except for some special cases, I use 'normal' English fonts too.. Handwriting fonts, (Maru)Gothic; all looks better when using normal english font imo. Some special cases however do require the japanese font (as i said.. i think mincho needs the jap font).

On the case of styling, I chose a font for the dialogue of some random anime where the lowercase 'L' and uppercase "I" look almost the same, and now in ep11 the word "Ill" appears. Didnt make me very happy.. I guess I'll have to find fonts with more a distinctive l and I next time
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote