Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-11-25, 09:19   Link #10037
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think I've written on the Korean Question before, but I'll repeat myself:

China is supporting NK mainly for two reasons.
1) It doesn't trust SK to keep US troops far away from the Yalu once the North goes down.
2) The refugee issue.

The US-SK delegation basically need to go to Beijing and say,"Look. The US won't station troops across the Yalu, and you guys will have your interests in the North protected. All we ask is for you to seal the border with NK." The Chinese are also vexed with NK, so once this can be secured, the next step will be war. What kind of war it will be depends on what the South wants after the smoke clears.

Let's face it: NK has already reached the step of shelling a civilian island. They will push their luck further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
It's good Italy has had a bit of stability in the subject of presidencies, as it hasn't done very well since WWII in having a long term leader. I'm just amazed it happens to be old pervy at the steering wheel still.

I'm still scratching my head as to how Portugal can be saved from this sort of crisis. The only thing that comes into mind is a very large seaport and transport hub to make use of it's position on the Atlantic Ocean. Although one problem there is having the break-of-gauge for trains between Spain and France limits this ideology (although Spain are working on this). Anyone else have any ideas on what Portugal could try and do in the future?
My old history prof puts it nicely: What does Portugal produce which the world wants? Not a whole lot of stuff.