Thread: Licensed The Sky Crawlers
View Single Post
Old 2007-06-21, 09:08   Link #7
wao
OK.

I'm more interested in this involving Tetsuya Nishio than Oshii myself, but I sure hope he is going in a "new direction" with this. Well, we can only wait and see - the trailer has absolutely no animation (only 2 quotes or something right now), and this could be good.

The impression I get is that Production I.G. tends to lean towards projects that get presented in a way such that... that the animation is trying to emulate live-action stuff. Possibly because that seems to automatically make their works look more refined and "mature" and "well-done" on first glance = more interest (especially overseas, I think I.G.'s one of the first studios that got widespread recognition overseas in the last decade).

Downside to this is - at least from how I see it - it doesn't always work, and sometimes the product can end up very stuffy, boring or even bland in terms of presentation/direction. Refined and conventionally "gorgeous", but nothing that feels quite captivating.

So let's hope this doesn't go that way. Although it's not fair to burden it with so much doubting when we haven't even seen a shred of the actual animation or designs yet anyway, it's not like these are godawful staff members by any stretch.
....but hey, I do it all the time