View Single Post
Old 2007-03-24, 22:14   Link #21
wao
OK.

How well Toei works depends on the director as well. It's he who organises how the show will look like and make the best out of what might be an otherwise mediocre studio - and don't look down on Toei all the time, they can do some good stuff if they want to (some eps of Gaiking were very well animated).

Furthermore in Bakeneko it appears to me that they're likely to get their better animators because we've got one of the more widely respected animators, Takashi Hashimoto, doing the (unprecedented) work of character design... So he'd be a major factor in attracting good talent to the show, which is why the last episode had such great animation.

Of course, the concerns might be more valid spread over a 12 episode series since the director would presumably have less tight control. But I have faith that they'll manage to rope in good non-Toei animators or something, and that the visual team will work hard to make this something different. I felt that Bakeneko already showed an encouraging direction in which they were putting their efforts.

But well, this is just me postulating, it's not like I really know what goes on Toei is a little funny anyway, after all they've been around for so mindbogglingly long that they do do things a bit differently.