Thread: Higurashi Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-10, 13:09   Link #1647
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
I never took attention to that before. It is a bit funny then, that in the official English manga, Rika ends most of her sentences with a "sir". While nothing serious, it doesn't bring out that part of Rika, just makes her look like she's really well-behaving. Or they're trying to make it something like "Rika is a honoured person, but talks to everyone politely so she evens out the difference". It is a bit hard to translate, as English language doesn't have everyday honorifics except maybe using the surname.
The "sir" added to every sentence is a rough translation of "desu." It's actually meant more as a cute verbal eccentricity in Japanese. It can be taken in 2 ways, either Rika is respectful to everyone in the village (without considering anyone "superior" to her), or it just adds fluff to the persona of "Sweet Rika-chan." I'm inclined to believe the latter, since "Sweet Rika-chan" adds "desu" when she talks to everyone, including her friends (even Satoko, which makes no sense whatsoever).