View Single Post
Old 2012-05-26, 08:20   Link #253
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal September View Post
The problem is, that you are mixing vague feelings about what ought to be popular, and what deserves to be popular, with hard facts. Here is a particularly good example, the ratings of a week from 2 years ago, with Angel Beats, Durarara, and K-on all beating on the noitaminA of the time. While it's not an average week, (noitaminA was somehow weak in that season, and we rarely have 3 late night shows at that level at the same time), it's still a reasonable example of how the fandom's exaggeration about noitaminA's special mainstreamness is a myth. It shows that the individual shows in it are not necessarily on a different level of popularity from "otaku anime" as a whole.
What are you even talking about? Mixing vague feelings what? Leaving ratings issues aside, my point was that auteurish shows have a bigger fanbase outside anime. AKB48 fanbase will never be as big as that, because the auteur fandom has a long established global identity (hardcore otaku anime and AKB48 do not). This is why I consider some Noitamina shows to have bigger potential than otaku anime. As it was discussed earlier, Noitamina isn't really the right platform for them.

For stories themselves, maybe anime isn't the right medium for them. If I weren't an animation fan, I wouldn't mind seeing [C] in live action form.

Quote:
But I dislike the "noitaminA fandom", as a group that portrays itself objectively superior on a pseudoscientific basis, essentially pretending that their shows already are much bigger than anything else.
"Are bigger" and "have more potential" are two different concoctions. I think you're reading too much into these rapid Noitamina fanboys.
Quote:
And you reacted to this, by assuming that I made an attack on your tastes about good anime.
I honestly didn't. Unfortunately for us, Noitamina really is one of the last places to get a different blend of anime. While we have plently of motivation to defend their past practices, before they started catering to otaku, I'll agree with Guardian_Enzo about people shutting the fuck up about being offended over this, and just leave it at that.
Quote:
If you can't stomach a discussion about audience sizes without derailing it into how much you like noitaminA, then maybe the TV ratings discussion isn't for you.
I thought this thread was also to discuss the merits of these ratings.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote