View Single Post
Old 2012-05-26, 20:29   Link #257
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I'm not so sure, if profits continue to fall, then there won't be resources in the system to fund two shows.

There's also the possibility that they end out cannibalizing their own sales, particularly if they have two shows of a similiar type airing at once. Maybe that's why they've been airing more "mainstream" (IE otaku oriented) shows lately, there's only so many non-mainstream shows the industry can support at once, most of the money is still in Otaku shows. The only alternative is to be aiming at selling a tie in (Like Kaiji with the live action movies etc.).
Well, at least the producers showed their determination, now if only they can work a business model that serves their goals, like other studios and distributors have done, they might end up producing something more than romantic experiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The main thing in noitaminA's favour is that the viewing (and paying...) audience for Anime is aging, yielding perhaps more opportunities for alternative programming aimed at older demographics. If we consider that the current generation of anime started with Evangelion in 1995, those who were 16 at the time of watching Evangelion are now 33. Those were 16 when Macross aired in 1982 are now 46. But I think the aging of the Eva cohort might have the most interesting effects.

It's an interesting time.
It's feels so painful that I fit into your EVA group (18->31, though for me it was SE: Laine) Anyway be aware that your division also means more obligations and less free time, which leads more to look for simpler less experimental (and not necessarily artistic) entertainment

The mainstream you mentioned is an easy consumer base for japanese animation that for anything decent (by their standards) will at least return the investment. Having wider appeal is very tricky, since incorporating elements that other "groups" will appreciate can easily cut off the sales on that base. Only SHAFT and Sunrise have managed the past few years to gain wider appeal and not lose appeal to that "mainstream".
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote