View Single Post
Old 2009-03-11, 10:50   Link #20
Mentar
Banned

I think you guys are forgetting something important: This isn't a normal run-of-the-mill OVA. This episode was very obviously and purposely designed to re-introduce all characters, not to come up with an awesome drop-dead-funny storyline. The point was to remind long-time viewers of the tidbits and to quickly introduce new viewers to the characters.

You could run a tick list, particularly for the secondary characters. Examples:

Isumi: Soft-spoken (check), liked by Wataru (check), gets lost all the time (check), is able to banish evil spirits with her powers (check)

Yukij: Teacher (check), drinks alot (check), always short on money (check), unreliable (check), scared of Hina (check)

... and so on. All these details were worked off not because they were somehow needed or even supporting a great storyline, but they were added to prepare the viewer for season 2.

Taking this into account, the episode really wasn't bad at all. At least I had my share of chuckles, which is a decent result for a reintroduction ep.

Oh, and for the art: Compared to the changes characters go through when studios change, the difference is pretty small. I could easily make a compilation of all-SynergySP episodes in no time to point out differences in their OWN style. There's no point in arguing subjective impressions, so I won't - but at least I can't find a reason to diss the J.C.Version based on animation.