View Single Post
Old 2010-06-09, 09:51   Link #33
Adventury
Rail Tracer

You may have a point about the worldview, but I still found that despite its target audience, it felt at times that the show didn't quite know who ti was tryint to appeal to. That and the fact that it falls in the bizarre age where most studios were making the jump into digital makes it visually a tad garish in my eyes. Still I won't deny that it had its moments and some of the design wasn't half bad either.

But I still stand by my point: despite my appreciation of BONES as a studio it's not like it has some kind of Midas touch that turns everything into gold. I found Jyu-Oh-Sei's second half to be relatively awful, Ayashi Ayakashi feels like a sort of misguided attempt at making some sort of slick period piece that while not totally ill-natured has more than a few dubious design choices. And even their best works suffer from some occasional awkward pacing. I'm thinking particularly of Eureka 7 which, despite a marvelous middle stretch, made viewers have to sit through some rather tedious (as Bluwacky may attest to) 'worldview' building episodes.
My other argument falls in line with Jarmel's last comment: I believe that both FMA: Brotherhood and Darker Than Black's second season are much bigger stains to BONES' reputation in my eyes than Soul Eater and Heroman will ever be, since the later two are just (at worst) two subjectively average additions to their portfolio, while the former two represent a break of their philosophy of avoiding remakes and sequels. Doesn't help that at least FMA hasn't been exactly brilliant throughout its run(with the obvious exception of some episodes) which makes it all that much harder to swallow.
Adventury is offline   Reply With Quote