View Single Post
Old 2007-03-12, 20:41   Link #949
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
You know the thing with Key games is it's like they are directed by Yoshiyuki "Kill-Em All" Tomino.
I know what you are trying to tell about comparison between Tomino and Key games in terms of depression, but there is a significant difference in here .

While Tomino was largely driven by his depression (except for Ideoon, in which he claimed he doesn't know why he made the anime end up that way) after all the politics he have (vs. Nagano because of differring opinions over directions of animes (Nagano wants everything in the post-Zeta animes to be at least FSS-level grand (shown by his concepts), while Tomino wanted something more realistic...especially after binning Nagano's proposal for the ZZ), disliking the merger between Sunrise and Bandai). This is a stark contrast to everything he did after Victory, in which everything was more upbeat (like Turn A and the Zeta movies). Of course, the times changed, and the man himself changed (the Gundam Evolve about the Nu Gundam was directed by him, and he personally wanted to give a happy ending to some of his works).

As for Key's case, it's more of the desire to give a plot to the game...otherwise it might end up being typical. In the rather crazy world of visual novels, innovation is something one must do to at least survive...well, if you think Kanon is bad enough, Planetarian is bound to make you cry. Leaf tried the depressing path with Tenshi no Inai Juunigatsu (something I got round to playing recently, but my schedule...), and it worked very well with the direction (albeit a little short), although they are more known for more upbeat fare like ComiPa and ToHeart. It just takes effort to pull something off (and different, and actually worked), and not many companies will dare to step off what they are known for.

Heck, even more well-known companies are known to at least suffer (well, some here have said that Really? Really! have not been doing exactly that well as expected, compared to the rest).

Heck, as for KyoAni, they are already known for Full Metal Panic! animes, and even their rendition of Air before that, but MoSH is just their big break to be truly well-known.

Of course, as the rest have said, it takes something really good to make a break. Look at TYPE-MOON and you know it.

Sushi-Y: Good that you don't get into Code Geass, otherwise you will be talking about Pizza Hut here...

Last edited by kct; 2007-03-13 at 09:11.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote