View Single Post
Old 2009-05-17, 07:39   Link #81
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Freeters are people who cycle through low-income jobs while still supported by their family. There's really no significant differences from the standpoint of how Japanese people might see them. If you don't do it the right way, it's just wrong (figuratively speaking, I don't really believe it's right or wrong. I do believe sucking up to your parents when you're 30 is kinda idiotic, though).
So I assume you are saying that the wiki page is wrong.
In that case I'll have to ask you were your source comes from, because to me it's not a matter of the "original meaning", but rather the general idea of what is a NEET according to the japanese and that I seemed to understand so far is different from what you are stating.

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that show dealt with hikikomori-ism, which is a very well defined term that actually implies total isolation from the outside world. It is a very similar phenomenon, or at least a subset of the same phenomenon. I really don't know whether that quote said NEET or hikikomori, but I remember the latter being much more prevalent overall (I don't think I heard the word NEET in that show, but whatever).
You should seriously rewatch this show because the word NEET as been repeated over and over a lot. Actually before watching NHK I didn't even know what a NEET was, I was more familiar with the term Hikikomori. So I find it kind of funny that you think this show never mentioned NEET while it was the show that introduced me to this concept °°;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv51zeP03L4 <- 9:30 (this is the first episode)

Anyway this show is mainly focused on hikikomori, but since an hikikomori is automatically a NEET it talks about NEETs too. And the quote I was referring to was definitely talking about NEET and not Hikikomori.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-05-17 at 07:56.