Thread: Proposal Make post counts public
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 16:36   Link #26
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I like how you say TheFluff has a good point (which is judge the post(er) by its actual content) and than go onto whine about the lack of "instant troll detector".
there is an instant troll detector. ..a few of them actually. . .first is the report button, second is the ignore function, and third is brain and eyeballs most humans on these forums have and make use of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I've always appreciated the fact that this was not displayed.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
why are people so fixated on judging other posters based on how popular they are or how much they participate in ~the community~

How about you treat other posters as human beings with lives beyond this forum and realize that they have many different opinions, some of which you may agree with and others that you may not agree with? If I was actually interested in debating the merits of Japanese popular culture I'm pretty damn sure I'd want other people to value my opinions because they thought they had merit or because they were well formulated, not because I was a popular member of this particular internet circlejerk.

Seriously, guys. What the heck are you thinking?

yeah it solves a lot of issues associated with that. . .personally I also think that the join date should be removed too, just put in the persons profile like the post count, It'll pretty much FORCE people to be more observant, and use their brains to determine who the good posters are. It'll help people think more critically in the long run, and cull the posters that just post for their ego's sake instead of posting to add contribute to a discussion. I think that people/communities who feel they "need" any kind of measuring system do so to mask the fact that they a)feel not so adequate in their own life, so they have to use these petty systems on a discussion forum to make them feel better (and forums are not psychiatry offices) and b)promotes behavior to mask that feeling of inadequacy. . .kinda like how anime tends to rely on fan service once the directors/writers realize that they cant make a decent show without a ton of flaws.

It's actually insulting to the intelligence of people that post on the site. There is no way that someone CAN'T tell if a poster is a good poster or not, a good poster is able to present their points in a way that can shine light on why they have a certain opinion, and do that WITHOUT passively aggressively attacking the opinions of others. . .that's pretty much what taking away all these unnecessary measurements would promote. It would be like taking the training wheels of the bike, or taking the alcohol away from a drunkard etc etc. . .in the long run people will be able to just make better posts, and recognize those who make those posts. Those that can't do either, wont be a part of the community, leaving the rest of those still here to make the community here way better than it is. . .which in turn would draw more new people who can have or can learn the aforementioned skills (being a good poster/recognizing good posters)

Measuring systems arent needed at all.