View Single Post
Old 2009-02-08, 09:25   Link #35
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
Based on your tastes, I just might have to give Oh! Edo Rocket a shot. Can you give me an idea as to the genre it falls under (roughly speaking).
The score combines music from a variety of genres, but the dominant influences are jazz, including both small combos and more especially the "big-band" sound, with a bit of Mariachi thrown in from time to time. There are also a couple of rock tracks, though I find these less interesting than the others. Upon repeated listening you see that's there's less diversity than at first meets the ear because a number of themes are repeated with varying arrangements. I'd still recommend it, though.

At one point, in the Rocket thread I believe, I wondered if the big-band influences had roots in the postwar American occupation. Some tracks sound like they could have been written by the Dorsey brothers.

One of the things that's so striking to me about the best anime scores is their use of percussion, a feature of both the Rocket and the Dennou Coil scores. It gives the music a distinctly Asian feeling.

Let me just pimp the score for Dennou Coil one more time. It's truly an extraordinary piece of work for a television sound track. I particularly enjoy the wide range of instrumentation and moods throughout.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-02-08 at 09:36.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote