View Single Post
Old 2009-05-28, 15:53   Link #431
Betteroffer

The saddest art to me about Shirley's death was that by making it so neatly mid-season, they basically made an in-series trope of Screw-Over-the-Carrot-Top-Mid-Way-Through (or Break the Cutie as has been said). Her death was still very tragic, but it depressed me even more in retrospect, since her character was made to seem more like a plot device this time, rather than a victim of Lelouch's desire for his own vengence.

While I don't have the episode on hand, I seem to recall one of the first things Shirley said to Lelouch in her death scene was "Lulu. I'm so happy that I could see you in the end." So yes, Shirley was a ray of optimism and hope, even in her dying moments.

In reference to Lord Bear's fanfic, a problem with Shirley's Geass making simple illusions would be the issue of the illusion being videotaped. Lelouch dying in front of the eyes of the world wouldn't work, since everyone who was watching through a TV would see Zero run up to an empty throne and seemingly wave his sword in the air.

A thought that might work, but would seem weirdly complex, would be that her Geass lets her "engrave" images into the collective unconcious i.e. the World of C. Basically she could make illusions that would exists in every person's mind for the rest of time, or until she herself died (probably the former, since Lelouch's Geass power clearly outlived him).

If Shirley made an illusion of a blue rock, this rock would not be real or solid, but a person could believe they were holding it and moving it, and if someone put it on a table, and another person moved it to a chair, then the first person, and anyone who came into that room afterwards, would see the rock as being on the chair.

Thinking about it, a Geass that I could see both Shirley and Kallen with would be Absolute Devotion. Essentially it would allow them to be instinctively aware of the locations of their loved ones regardless of distance (excuse me while I swoon), as well as a limited connection to their senses and possibly to their feelings and minds as well.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote