Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-24, 14:51   Link #2038
Vena
Carpe Diem

A solid episode (with good music placement) after last weeks build up.

I noticed a lot of focus on the girls this week and it seems like next week will probably also have some focus on Fleur (she's the only who's tried to activate the third engine thus far). Elena's starting to twist together the truth and her shenanigans, and its interesting to dissect her words to see what it is she means. The show (and Elena) just keep on teasing Fleur, and her reactions are fun to watch. (Though they did an awful lot of face-focusing today on Fleur whenever Ao did or said anything. Not sure how to take this... are they going for the subtle jealousy route?)

Naru and Ao seem to have been squarely put at odds with one another. Ao wants the Quartz to save mom but Naru, earlier, told Ao not to do that (taking the Quartz, that is) and she's gung-ho on defending the Scub. Throwing some arbitrary speculation out there but it seems like the Secrets did not know the timeline would change, if I understood George-Secret when he was talking to Ao, so I feel like this rules them out as being a creation by Renton. (Their existence in time doesn't really make sense anyway in such a scenario, why would they exist before Eureka is lost and in turn trap Eureka out of time, if they were Renton's tools. They seem to be squarely neutral at this point.) I just cannot see how the Secrets fall into place in all of this at the moment because they are: not the enemies but still caused Eureka to be lost in time. Unfortunate timeloop perhaps? (Oh and we know who transparent Eureka is, its real Eureka stuck out of time.)

On a different note, that Secret head seems to be rather attached to Ao. He talks with him, does not not believe him, questions his actions alot and tries to make sense of it, and, in general, seems to have taken an interest in him. Is he, perhaps, the one that appeared in the dream? I can easily see them forming a strange sort of middle-ground between the other Secrets/Truth/Naru/Scub. Ao can collect the Quartz and change the timeline to a world without Scub, get his mom back, the Secrets are happy, Truth is happy, Naru wouldn't know to be unhappy, but, I guess, Ao losses everyone he knows in the current world. Bittersweet end?

Edit: Did all those people die when the Scub went bananas? It felt like Naru flew off with the one guy she "converted" and killed everyone else off.