View Single Post
Old 2010-04-28, 17:51   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Pocky View Post
It was a cow, not a pig.
I loved this episode! Ritsu and Mugi were real funny and Nodoka getting lost was something I did not expect! The Ui tric kthing didnt work very well in the anime. It's much better in the manga.
The Ui/Yui intro also failed because the sub translator gave it away right off the bat by injecting a pronoun ("she") where there was none in the dialog. The actually line was a typical japanese implied-noun sentence fragment. A subtitle of "Okay, ... got change of clothes." instead of "okay, now she has a change of clothes." would have kept the joke intact.

Time to fire up Aegisub and tweak a bit...

In general, I haven't been annoyed at the translation this season though, just mild "eh?" moments when I see a subtitle that doesn't match what I'm hearing and shifts the intent to collide in my head. For example... Mio does not say "Jesus Christ!" at 14:27 (though it certainly reflects her exasperation). We're in Japan, people don't call out to gods they don't worship (or use much anglo-saxon profanity at all) so it jarred me to read it. I understand the dilemma of the translator though, because "Oy vey!" is probably a perfect fit but one some Westerners might not understand. The longer "You give me a headache!" is, of course, too long.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-28 at 18:07.