Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-12, 00:15   Link #4522
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I am afraid you are missing the point. If Oorai do win, then the ending would, at least for me, feel cliche. In addition, this would not end well for Black Forest either. After all, Black Forest marshaled more tanks than any other school and possesses very excessive technological advantage that others would simply envy.
Au contraire, I think I know exactly what you are talking about but cannot agree.

I'll admit them winning is the conventional ending, but I don't think it is cliche.

In a usual sports anime, there are only humans using the same equipment, so the Ten-Year Champ team must have some redeeming qualities in competence even if they are jerks and the newbie team is probably much less good than the champs, so it feels cliched when the author pulls a Deux ex Machina to let them win anyway.

But this is Senshado and it allows absurd disparity in equipment, which also allows plenty of room to say that the old champs won more on equipment than real skill.

Certainly in their demonstrated skill indices, Oarai's team is no worse than the average on the other teams. Heck, even Rabbit Team's failure to score a single hit so far is matched by most tanks on the show. So they hardly "deserve to lose" by having less skill, only in equipment, and in this example, the Machina they need to win is on stage.

If anything, the whole Ep9 comeback is more cliche. The number of mistakes Pravda had to make to let them win is eye-boggering...

Besides, since I don't think their school closing is an acceptable outcome to you either, if they lose there will be another cliche as the author effectively cops out and rules that the school is saved.

Or perhaps you prefer a Bittersweet ending where they do lose, the school closes but they find happiness elsewhere (maybe Oarai transfers onto that very bare patch on Pravda's carrier where V/STOL Forgers take off and land - its dimensions is almost the perfect size)?

I can accept a Bittersweet ending - if the opponent is right. If it is Pravda or Saunders or even St. Glorianna, well, umm, OK.

But KMM? Please. Their philosophy sucks. Their XO is a Dog-kicker, the instructor another. Actually being much better technically than other teams might be a saving grace if you are enough of a cynic, but by the end of Ep 10, a strong impression is created that they are over-rated and have been getting by more on their equipment superiority than anything else.

Do these guys deserve a win? I don't think so.

For the Humility stuff I refer you to RandomWanderer's answer.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote