View Single Post
Old 2011-08-24, 19:38   Link #121
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed.

I don't think I could ever again be a 80% shonen anime fan (as I was at one time), but there are types of anime other than shonen, and I think that some of those types often have characters and/or stories that can appeal to an older audience.

There might come a time that I'm simply tired of anime, but I wouldn't consider that the same as "growing out of it".
I think 'growing out of it' as a phrase can come off as kind of insulting, especially to older fans who clearly are grown already.

But to word it differently, my anime tastes were always diverse, and I'm pretty damn burnt out from my peak days of watching (2004-2007ish). So while Vexx's theory may be accurate for some, I don't think it describes my predicament. I've actually been trying to get back into the hobby for about a year now, with little success.

I think the idea of 'growing out of it' kind of stems from people who watched anime during their adolescence or childhood, loved it, and gradually changed as people over the years (as we all do) and find it harder to gain enjoyment. So it's not necessarily because of being more mature or anything like that, but rather the individual's tastes and interests being variable and always evolving, with the most rapid changes usually happening during adolescence. I know the person I am today versus the person who registered to this forum in 2004 are very different. My maturity is not the reason I gain less enjoyment from anime. But the changes that have occurred with age, perhaps not in relation to maturity but rather just natural waxing and waning of passions, are definitely a component. Really, I have trouble enjoying most forms of fiction nowadays (some exceptions, of course) whereas I used to love it. I'm becoming a boring non-fiction guy, I guess, lol.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote