View Single Post
Old 2007-04-28, 15:08   Link #1687
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueda View Post
The "gui-gui" thing is something called "gitaigo" in Japanese. The Japanese language has TONS of words for things that are basically sound effect words. English has them too, but I've a suspicion that we have less. Words like "bam" "pop" or the like are what we're talking about here. There's a great guide at this site.
I have a 220 page book on Japanese onomatopoeia, not counting the index and bibliography. It's pretty interesting and there's just so much to learn about it - it's true, Japanese has soooo many onomatopoetic words. Onomatopoeia is used more often in daily speech in Japanese than in English, as well (not surprising considering Japanese has so many more than English), so it's very worthwhile to learn as many *ono* words as you can if you want to learn Japanese, IMO, whereas I would say it's not so important to learn many English *ono* words if you were learning English (but if course it's always nice to know stuff like that when learning another language).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKiWi View Post
oh my. Push and pull isn't very accurate a.f.k. My oh my I think I fully understand now haha... thanks man!

Eating ice-cream cones will never be the same again.
I didn't understand how this was ecchi until I read "push and pull". It makes me *sad* because I don't think it's really a perverted thing to do at all - I've always shoved the ice cream down into the cone with my tongue because I also hate eating plain cone. But now, seeing as how such an innocent act is being presented naughtily, I hesitate to eat anymore ice cream cones.

..Aw, to heck with that. ::runs off to buy ice cream and cones::
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote