View Single Post
Old 2011-05-20, 15:41   Link #1156
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It's not just the writer that creates a show, it's also the directing, and also editing to cut out the waste. Angel Beats had a lot of stuff that should just have never been there in the first place. It's possible to render a decent idea useless through terrible execution.

Because I see what I perceive to be issues among both shows, and they have different writers, there's gotta be something else up. I mean, I've seen Mari Okada praised to the high heavens often, so naturally expectations were high.
But both shows not only had different writers,they also had different directors as for the editing,in anime does the editor have a real influence?
In live action there's lots of different takes as well scenes that are left in the cutting room,but in anime I'm not sure that's the case,woudn't there be "deleted scenes" bonuses if they animated more than what they aired?

I still feel It's better to compare the critisism of Hanasaku Iroha to the ones of Canaan,since for both the staff is nearly identical

It took me 2 minutes to find these:

Quote:
The problems in this series come from the fact that it can’t seem to decide whether it wants to be taken seriously or not.(...)these characters are so ridiculously over the top that it becomes really hard to take them seriously, especially among the rest of the series that does want to be taken seriously.
Quote:
Honestly I wasn't too happy with Canaan. Don't get me wrong, it was good for what it was, but it could've been much better. It had more of an identity crisis than anything else.
Quote:
The problem this anime ran into is it couldn't decide what it was. serious action drama.. or over the top action comedy... or fanciful scifi future social-drama....
Quote:
I’m not sure that the story is bad so much as it is badly executed.
I've heard all this in critism of Hanasaku Iroha