View Single Post
Old 2010-11-11, 10:02   Link #81
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitoriTomoyo View Post
Everything went downhill for Angel Beats! after they failed to follow up with every characters' backstory, personally: had the rest of the series also focused on every featured member's backstory on top of the gradual developing relationship between Otonashi and Tachibana, then the series would have exceeded almost every expectation imaginable.

It can be argued that as side characters their backgrounds are not significant to the main plot, but if that was the case then why did Iwasawa, Ayato, and Yui receive special episodes whilst everyone else got shafted into the shadows? Yuri, despite receiving an episode focused on her, is especially a victim of this.

As the female protagonist and the single most important character of the Angel Beats! universe, she didn't receive as much attention as she deserved: only a portion of her entire background was covered in episode two and everything else about her remains ambiguous. Even Track Zero fails to completely fill in any gaps concerning Yuri, let alone fill in the gaps that the founding members are full of.
This. After Yui's episode, I thought everyone would get their backstories revealed and their problems solved. If not, then at the very least I thought Yuri would because she's a main character, but even she got shafted. It makes me wonder why Key didn't ask for 24 episodes like they did for Kanon 2006, Clannad, and Clannad After Story.