View Single Post
Old 2008-01-06, 02:17   Link #50
Keruri
Like a falling star

For those of you who haven't yet received or purchased your copy of the Kanon 2006 volume 1 dub, I took the liberation of doing a full review of it. Beware an oncoming influx of text.

Now, just as a warning, I dislike a handful of voices in this dub. I'm going to critique each one thoroughly, and since I'm an amateur voice actress (meaning not yet professional and often participating in fandubs), I tend to do this often while critiquing peers and professionals. Hopefully I'll give a somewhat accurate critique. Also, just to note, I'm FAR from a dub-hater (ADV is my favourite dubbing company, as well). Though I'm fluent in Japanese, I tend to choose the dubbed track when listening to a DVD. Eventually, though, I will always listen to the track in both languages (though normally I've already seen the series in Japanese once before).

Personally, I find the cover and layout of the DVD case to be beautiful. The artwork from the original cover is used, the spine portrays the original logo and the familiar image of Nayuki eating a strawberry parfait, and the back contains a short introduction to the series. ADV has decided to spell Yuuichi as "Yuichi". It's not particularly wrong, but since the u is stressed, I'll continue to spell it Yuuichi. However, there is a mistake in the synopsis, as it states that Yuuichi is in his senior year, when he is actually a junior (second year) in high school.

The DVD itself is mainly white and has the same picture of Nayuki that is used on the spine, though offset to the bottom left. The logo is dislayed at the top with the text "volume 1" written below it.
Front and back cover
Volume 1 DVD

Once the DVD begins, you have the usual ads, previews, etc. The menu itself is simplistic but gorgeous, with the ever-familiar scene of Nayuki during her reunion with Yuuichi and an image of Nayuki and Yuuichi walking in the snow together. The episode titles are displayed in the blue font that ADV has continued to use for the series, and the "languages" and "extras" menu are displayed below it. A red dot, almost a little TOO vivid in my opinion, is used to scroll between and select the choices. The languages are obviously English (default) and Japanese with English subtitles. The extras contained on the DVD are the textless opening and closing along with a subtitled Kanon production video that was contained on the Japanese DVD.
DVD main menu

The mixing and volume of the dub is, as usual, stunning. As expected from ADV. The script was heavily altered to include many slang phrases, including but not limited to "did you herniate yourself", "be a doll", "totally", "dough-weed", "duh", "super cool", "dilly-dallying", "I'm game", "jerkface", "meathead", and "buttface". These mostly amplify the humour and don't directly change the personality of the characters.

Character voice review time.
Yuuichi- I've always envisioned Chris as Yuuichi. At a convention in 2002, shortly after Kanon 2002 came out, I asked him to do a few Yuuichi lines for me since I was dressed as Ayu. Though, confused, he obliged, and my inner fangirl was satiated (especially hearing him do the fake "Uguu". I believe I have that recorded somewhere). I'm probably biased, but I highly enjoyed his rendition of Yuuichi. The voice used is higher than Sugita Tomokazu's, but it's a little more fitting to his age. Chris easily pulls off Yuuichi's many reactions and various emotions, and truly brings out the lovable character we all know.

Nayuki- As much as I love Jessica Boone, I was very scared after hearing the AIR preview voices. Her voice in the short preview clip on the ADV website didn't go over well for me either. However, after episode one, I realized that though the voice was a little mature for my taste, she played the personality of Nayuki fairly well (aside from sleepy Nayuki, which didn't come across too great). Also, "faito, dayo?" is now "hang in there, okay?". I don't have any problems with it, especially since it fits the lip flaps so well.

Ayu- I'm extremely biased since I'm such an Ayu fangirl and have done various fandubs as her, but I didn't care for the voice. I understand that it was a more original take and that the voice "wouldn't sound as natural" if it were as high as Yui Horie's, but I still don't particularly care for it. The first few "uguu"s were a little painful for me, but as time went on, Brittany's improved them. Not to the calibur that I'd like, quite yet, but they have gotten better. Brittany does bring out Ayu's spunky personality well, if not making her seem a little more stubborn and almost rude at times. However, this is partially, if not mostly due to the script, in which Ayu has been made to say "shut up" very harshly to Yuuichi twice in a matter of four episodes. Overall, it could've been worse, but it could've been better.

Akiko- It's very, VERY hard to have someone even come close to Akiko's Japanese voice. The tone is very motherly and unusual, and it's just not heard in America. I don't believe that the dub did a bad job, persay, though the voice doesn't particularly fit Akiko. However, I'm well aware that her voice is by far the hardest to replicate in the series. I do have a slight problem with the characterization, however, as Akiko sounds almost malicious and evil when giving her jam to Yuuichi.

[I'll edit this post later with my full review of the rest of the voices, episodes, and dubbed script.

EDIT: Too lazy.]

Last edited by Keruri; 2008-07-08 at 22:18.