Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 14:55   Link #2419
Felyndiira

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Regarding Kasumi's purification, I don't think it is a stamina thing. As Proto said it was more of a flexibility thing - Kasumi is stuck on that mode until she does a purification ritual. In this Toki I suppose exceed Kasumi so Toki flexibility > Kasumi's flexibility

So in conclusion what we have right now for Toki vs. Kasumi is this:

Toki's defence >= Kasumi's defence
Toki's speed = Kasumi's speed
Toki's firepower < Kasumi's firepower
Toki's flexibility > Kasumi's flexibility
Toki's stamina <= Kasumi's stamina (team)
Toki's stamina < Kasumi's stamina (individual)

Looks like Toki and Kasumi ended up about even.
I'd consider the individuals separately. It's easy to acknowledge that anyone that doesn't get disqualified will > Toki on a standard individuals tournament, so the only meaningful comparison between the two is during the team competition. We can both acknowledge that Kasumi >>>>>>> Toki on the individuals since Toki would not even last 3 matches.

With that considered, for the team tournaments:

Toki's defence >= Kasumi's defence
Toki's stamina <= Kasumi's stamina (team)

Toki's speed = Kasumi's speed

Toki's firepower < Kasumi's firepower
Toki's flexibility > Kasumi's flexibility
Toki's table control > Kasumi's table control

Table control is different from flexibility; flexibility is the ability to use one's abilities to apply to multiple different situations (and the ability to adapt), while table control is blatantly controlling the entire table to fit your needs.

Overall, I think the main thing that restricts Kasumi is her lack of control over her power. If she could turn her suit magnet on and off whenever she needs to, Kasumi's ability would be amazing (especially in tandem with her way above average skill in mahjong/defensive play). However, the lack of flexibility in her powers really hampers her play and opens her up to either getting countered or sealed.

It's kinda like the situation with Kana vs. Koromo/Saki. Kana has the luck and ability to form huge hands very quickly (I think she counted at least two yakumans in the match against Koromo), but she was shut down by Koromo and Saki's manipulation of the table even when she regained control of her hands. As great as Kasumi's firepower is, I'm not certain how many hands she'll actually be able to complete if she actually is playing at the same table as someone with any form of table control - e.g. Toki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Anyway continuing on our line of discussion, a friend of mine asked me about this situation. If Toki calls a tile when Kasumi was about to win will it disrupt her?

On the surface it would appear the answer would be an obvious yes. But, Kasumi has a magnet type ability like Kuro and it seems that no amount of change in the drawing order stops the desired tiles from coming toward their hand. From what I read on the manga, calling hasn't seem to have broken Kasumi's one suit. If you think about it, any call should have shifted the drawing order so that at least one of Kasumi's opponent would get the restricted suit. But looking at the discards yields a different story - Kasumi's one suit ability remained absolute.

Now, for the purpose of this example let's say Kasumi's one suit for this turn is the bamboo. Toki saw Kasumi winning with the nine bamboo next turn. She then calls to shift the drawing order. Kasumi ended up missing her turn.

But, then what happens to the nine of bamboo that Kasumi was suppose to win with? it can't go to the other player due to Kasumi's ability. So where is it?
Will it merely be pushed back allowing Kasumi to still draw it in her next turn and thus win?

Or will Kasumi get a different tile and thus the disruption be successful?
A magic mahjong time paradox . Regardless of what happens, I think one of the two will end up trumping the other person's ability in some way (since Toki saw the future, she technically also saw one of the future tiles on the wall. In order for Kasumi's ability to manifest, it would technically override the vision and 'negate' Toki's ability for that turn in a sense). Thus, I think there are two possibilities:
  • In the case of Toki's future reading trumping Kasumi's suit magnet, the result is apparent - the nine of bamboo will end up in someone else's hand. Then, the round would proceed from there as if Kasumi's ability is in effect.
  • In the case of Kasumi's suit magnet trumping Toki's future, the nine of bamboo would no longer be a correct reading. In essence, Kasumi should have a possibility of ending up with anything on her next draw, and may or may not win. Since she her ability is just "drawing suits" and not "drawing specific suits", once Toki's vision is negated, her draw is randomized again. Or something. I think we need a quantum physics expert to actually answer this.

I think it would end up as "whoever has the 'stronger' ability trumps whoever has the 'weaker'." In short, time paradox, anything can happen; I guess in that context, maybe Toki would be equal to Kasumi since if they ever used their abilities against each other in a match, the universe would just spontaneously end from the time paradox.

For that matter, unless if Teru can negate abilities, someone could actually stop Teru altogether by having an ability that actually helps enemy players (for example, a reverse Kasumi ability where you can designate any player to receive one suit only). If all of Teru's hands automatically began with flushes, it would prevent her from ever getting the <2000 point hand to start her rampage.

__________________________________________________ _________

Also, this might be an old topic, but I just noticed this little detail today after my fifth readthrouth of this chapter. Remember when Saki said she 'had to resort to +/- 0' and was afraid of Kyouko?

Images
Why Saki is afraid of Kyouko, and why Saki resorted to +/- 0 (spoilers from chapter 90)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Felyndiira is offline   Reply With Quote