View Single Post
Old 2009-04-24, 22:49   Link #60
mitsuganae

Having recently reviewed the first three seasons, it struck me how particularly graceful the third season was, and how it managed to incorporate so much of the novels they were based on (judging from Okazu's translations/summaries and Baka-Tsuki). But in many ways, those novels were perhaps the least problematic to adapt, given their relatively uncomplicated structures and/or plots.

Obviously the meat of the fourth season was Yumi/Touko, but judging from what I've learned of the novels, many things had to be sacrificed simply to get to the Valentine's date by thirteen episodes.

So here's another question for those who have read the remaining novels -- do they present structural and/or narrative problems that may hinder their transformation into another season (whether it be broadcast or OVA)? Can the remaining novels be satisfactorily translated into a thirteen episode season (or five or six OVAs) without leaving out too much? Can they incorporate the important things they left out from the fourth season, or would that create further structural problems?

I know it's not the end of Yumi/Touko, but I hope they can somehow make a hypothetical fifth season more balanced (assuming there aren't any other things/relationships that could potentially make things lopsided). If they could somehow recover the wonderful sense of ensemble the first two seasons had, that would be lovely! But then again, maybe aspects of the remaining novels may not allow a balanced ensemble season to take place, hence my query.

P.S.: I know aspects of my query have been touched upon in previous posts, but I just want my particular concerns addressed in more depth, if anyone is willing. Many thanks in advance.