View Single Post
Old 2010-11-04, 15:18   Link #18415
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

There's a difference between receipt and acceptance. Yasu clearly is given effective control, possession of the ring, etc. However, it is his/her explicit order not to take any action yet. Yes, he/she has control over the operations and assets in theory, but I get the impression that Yasu is more "setting things up in trust" than actively claiming what was offered.

As far as we can tell, the Yasu story suggests Kinzo basically wanted to give everything to his lost child, from the money to the headship and everything down the line. It's Yasu's own desire not to essentially become Lion. If we buy that he/she set up the money, and is perhaps planning to convince the adults to accept the gold and some unknown headship arrangement in exchange for whatever he/she wants of them, then Yasu isn't actually taking on the role Kinzo intended.

It's the difference between acting as beneficiary and acting as trustee. The trustee actually controls the assets (the money, the gold, the ring); however, he or she has no intention of keeping them, just managing them until the appropriate time. If Yasu doesn't really want the headship, then one could view him/her as the trustee, and all he/she is looking for now is an appropriate beneficiary (that is, to decide who to pass the headship to and that he/she will use the gold and the family financial troubles as incentive to get everyone to quietly agree to it).

Until the beneficiary is found, Yasu holds it all. However, it's not being held in order to be kept. "All the gold in the Golden Land" does indeed belong to Yasu, but only for so long as something can't be done with it (I'm assuming from the evidence in ep7 and ep2 that Yasu's plan is to divide it up between the families, cover up the Kinzo matter, and appoint someone else the head of the family who everyone will claim Kinzo "recognized" as the new heir).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote