View Single Post
Old 2008-12-04, 18:30   Link #126
Ransom

On the subject of cowardice in choosing the main heroine in anime adaptations, that's why I really appreciated Shuffle!, despite the fact that it was in some ways kinda formulaic in setup and tropes. Not only could you not determine who the guy would ultimately end up with from the early plot/the first character he bumps into whom he hadn't already met, you couldn't figure it out from the OP or ED, either. (It didn't hurt that Asa was one of the two characters I was rooting for, the other being Sia.) Actually having suspense makes things much more interesting, but Shuffle! and True Tears are about the only series I can think of that actually pulled that off. When you prefer a certain character, but it's blatantly obvious that they're destined to get their heart broken, a show can get to be a bit of a downer.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I really would like it if JC staff would do something genuinely surprising and have a RyuujiXAmi ending. But I won't hold my breath, because the odds of that happening are much less than 1%.