View Single Post
Old 2011-11-18, 13:43   Link #48
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
I wonder if the reason why people dislike Yozora is not because of her actions but because of Sena's reactions. If Sena took the attacks in stride, would Yozora still be a evil, horrible, disgusting, maniacal, wretched, etc. person in the eyes of her haters? In episode 7, I found Yozora's actions to be rather tame. Teasing her with the phone? Sena did say that phones were beneath her. The line when Sena asked for Yozora's address? A playful call back to Sacred Blackstar. The spam? Sena would've done the same thing had she gotten Yozora's address first. Yet, still, Yozora's evil. I wonder if she'll get attacked even when she shows her dere side in a few episodes.
I think it's mostly because Yozora hasn't shown a good side at all. She seems to be a very one-dimensional character who's whole purpose is to make others miserable. Sena, despite her own horrible attitude (she's hardcore tsundere, with a focus on tsun), has at least shown some signs of growth and a very nice dere side. For example, her allowing the "Meat" nickname to stay because it's the first she's gotten. It really shows how vulnerable she can be. You know Sena's attitude (even with the phone thing) comes from her insecurity. We haven't had that kind of development with Yozora. All we know is that she missed out on something 10 years ago and now she's bitter about it.

Yozora bullies people, which is bad enough, as most people don't like bullies. But when you don't have anything to counterbalance it, it just exaggerates the problem.

And it's not like Sena is her only target out of jealousy or whatever. What she did to Maria was uncalled for. Everyone is turning this into a "well, Sena deserves it" defense, but it's not just Sena that gets it. That's what makes Yozora unlikeable. She's an equal opportunity bullier, combined with a nasty personality that lacks any growth or good traits. Part of that, I think, is the author's failure to show anything than her outer shell.

Please note, I wrote this before I watched episode seven. Yozora showed a better side here with Kodaka. If she could act more like that and less like a bully, she'd be a more tolerable character. Her bullying in 7 was a bit more justified as Sena's attitude was out of line. I've just found that most of the time, it isn't and when it is, she just doesn't know when to stop, which leads to her going overboard. Like at the end of 7. Sena wanted to send annoying messages, not spam her phone. Yozora could have sent some messages to make fun of her, but instead, went overboard again-- and look what happened because of it.

Though, one thing I can say about her-- she's probably the only one in the group who really needs the Neighbor's Club. Most of the people in it are more misunderstood than anything. Yozora is the one who really doesn't know how to make friends.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2011-11-18 at 16:57.