View Single Post
Old 2013-02-11, 19:13   Link #11
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'll not reinvent the wheel, Darthtabby has replied very well. I'll just add one more thing: without the prologue, the viewers are less inclined to be sympathetic to Yui. Because let's face it, she was a major bitch at the start of XFJ; if we start with Yuuya's perspctive and maintain that throughout the series, and skip Kyoto, we don't see that Yui has some very good reasons for being the way she is.

Also, having the prologue follow one POV before shifting to the main character for the rest of the story is hardly unique to Total Eclipse. Fate/Stay Night did it, Modern Warfare did it, so did Dead Space 3... These are just recent examples - there are plenty more. In the above 3 examples, they were not hurt by the shift in protagonist.

Comparing this to the original VN prologue I've seen, where Yui tests the Type-99 Electromagnetic Induction Launcher in a simulator, interposed with Iwaya laying doen the law and getting XJF approved, I think the anime prologue works better.

And for all the complaining about the drama, that's because, like Macross Plus, Total Eclipse is not a big war story; it's a personal story set against the backdrop of war.

I believe in miracles.