View Single Post
Old 2011-05-12, 23:08   Link #22762
Kealym

Small comment on something I saw on the last page, in regards to someone asking what Lambda represented on the top level. Mind, I haven't read EP8 yet (it's finals time at my school...), but I'm aware of it's events. To grossly overgeneralize, I've been assuming since EP6 that the characters represent :

Beatrice : The Author
Battler : Intended Audience
Bernkastel : THE INTERNET (well, other readers)
Lambda : Editor
Goats : Either individual popular theories, or more "other readers" than Bern, I guess
Erika : The pressure the reading audience exerts on the Author

So, you have Beatrice writing for her audience, Battler. Bern (other people) take an interest in a tale that amuses them. Lambda, the editor, guarantees that the story will be published, offers writing advice and edits things, and is familiar with the audience they'll be selling too (familiarity with Bernkastel). Eventually, people on the internet become extremely critical of Piece-Battler's jam-packed-with-fail detective work, and insist that a REAL detective would do this or that, and that the story is no good if the author can't provide a thusly qualified detective. Enter Erika, who represents the cruel logic of an audience only concerned with winning the logic game, and dislike things like "Battler sat tight and didn't leave the guesthouse until the 9th Twilight".

When I think of Lambda's role in that way, it explains most of her actions pretty well in my opinion, from threatening Beatrice to maintain the game, to her role as the objective judge as to whether Battler's logic error had been resolved, to her desire for a happy ending (if I recall correctly?) towards the end.
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote