Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-15, 19:43   Link #2034
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Azure View Post
Like a few others, I'm not entirely sold on the love triangle situation. I don't really think either Iori nor Himeko are in a good place to actually be in a romantic relationship, especially one with a guy known to have a "white knight" personality.
Seems like (as feared) it's going to be back-burnered for another time while the new gimmick takes the focus and Taichi's character is examined. It's a questionable choice, because it cools off the drama, and I don't know how they're going to get it back if they ever return to it. Right now, I'll be impressed if they even bother to resolve it rather than go with a safer, more ambiguous ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think this show is probably in the end just going to be more interesting than good. It has interesting premises, so-so execution.
Kokoro Connect has always been a million times better when asking questions than it is when resolving them. An example: While I admit that Nagase's chameleon act is unnerving, and interesting to me, it will never leave me as fascinated as I was when she (in Aoki's body) first began positing questions about the nature of individuality, and what constitutes the self. Likewise, Inaban's frantic cover-up of her crush at first seemed to hint at a profound inferiority complex that had given rise to an outward persona of a supremely confident and controlling individual. When it turned out she was just scared that she'd be lonely if her feelings isolated her from the club, it made sense, but it also wasn't a very juicy problem.

On another note, I was surprised to hear people saying that Taichi is doomed to remain a cypher after this episode. Honestly, I took the exact opposite message. I was fairly certain before I hit this thread that he is intended to be the focus of the arc, as Nagase and Inaban were before. It seems that HS (and presumably HS2) starts these games because he enjoys the havoc it plays on all of them, but he also wants something specific from one individual, and the game ends only once he gets it. I think Taichi is in his sights this time.

Consider what we know so far: Taichi is the odd man out, and (probably) the only one who has been visited so far to learn the exact rules of the new game. Taichi's little sister showing up again also seems important when you realize that while HS2 tells him to be a "knight" (derisively?), his real role when the club goes mini is that of the big brother. Maybe his sister plays a larger role in who he has become than has been revealed so far.

In the past, these games culminate in a way that forces someone to realize something about themselves. While everyone will get some development, Taichi stays lucid, and his state remains constant. I can see a situation where he'll need to help more than one of them at once, and be forced to make a choice. But perhaps that's just my own irritation with his carefree white knighting coming through and making me voice what I hope will happen.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote