View Single Post
Old 2010-07-05, 20:09   Link #89
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosign View Post
You will notice that a lot of the jokes they make aren't really funny and yet the Japanese Otaku love this stuff. That is our difference and that is ALL I am saying. When what we see happen to overlap with our good senses, we get an enjoyable show. When they do not overlap, we get an Astro Fighter Sunred.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt for a second and assume that you're just really really bad at being diplomatic. "Our difference" is what? That we like funny jokes? "Our good senses" are what make a show enjoyable? Really? Surely you didn't mean all this the way it sounds.

Obviously, when the show you watch overlaps with your own personal biases and preferences, you'll find something that you'll enjoy. That's like saying "people generally like to eat foods they like" -- well yeah, obviously. But the whole point is that "taste" is personal. There's no reason why anyone in the English-speaking world couldn't enjoy an Astro Fighter Sunred, or a Shukufuku no Campanella, or whatever the show is. You may be "culturally biased" but you're not "culturally forced". You like what you like, and you don't need to justify it to anyone. That's why it's personal taste. Not to mention that it seems to me the whole point of watching something "foreign" like anime is to try to broaden our palate and become more open-minded. It isn't "Japan's responsibility" to make anime that appeals to "our good senses", and if we're going to go into "their" turf and download "their" shows, it seems to me that the least we could do is be polite.

Anyway, let's drop this topic and get back to the show. We probably have more seriousness in the past few posts than we'll ever get in the show itself.