View Single Post
Old 2012-12-04, 20:42   Link #80
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's a word for people that go through life without caring one iota about other people. That word is selfish.

A person who only does what s/he wants to do, and never considers the hopes or feelings of another, is a very selfish and self-centered individual, imo.

That's certainly not a philosophy that I would want to hang my hat on.
Selfish means you care only for yourself. You can "go through life without caring one iota about other people" as you put it, yet not be selfish, by simple virtue of you caring for anything other then yourself (some kind of hobby, animals, etc, for example) to the extent that doesn't involve self-pandering. Introvert is more accurate.

With regard to your second point, not all "hopes" and "dreams" are positives, try as you might to make them so by surrounding them in your sentence with negatives. In addition, most "hopes" and "dreams" are not of any sort of tangible nature so as to be trashed by others as easily as you would imply; unless you're an extreme extrovert, or social zelot, in which case all I can say is "taste your own medicine".

The episode itself isn't as gray, Rita is clearly in the wrong. Is it because she wants Mashiro to go back to painting, and Mashiro currently doesn't feel like it? No. Different play on events could have yielded a "positive" impression. The wrong is she wants her to go to England, and now; as if either have any relation to her going back to painting.