View Single Post
Old 2012-10-02, 19:50   Link #40
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It seems to be a problem of short-sightedness. It isn't a pressing problem today, and it may not even be a pressing problem in your lifetime. So, why should you care? That sort of attitude - the here-and-now, all-about-me thinking - is rather befitting of being termed "dumb monkeys willfully destroying everything." We may be building some impressive things, but if we're crapping up our fish tank to the point that we'll ruin ourselves and everything that we've built, how smart is that?
What we can say is man does not live up to his name of homo sapiens i.e. man the wise. We are highly intelligent but not very wise. The average man lacks the foresight and wisdom to see and adequately navigate these long-term issues. If a person does see it (and this is the minority) then their need for gratification is stronger than their desire towards short-term sacrifice for long-term rewards.

I know today I have been acting like some kind of advertiser but I would highly recommend reading George Mobus blog on Question Everything. He delves much into the issue of human psychology and sapience. Most important he discusses much of the issues you described in this post. A most intelligent man and I feel you would enjoy reading his blog, in the free moments you happen to have. I have noticed in his recent blog entries his tone has taken a distinctive negative tone which is a bit trouble but still, if you delve into his many posts you are bound something that will engage your mind in perhaps way you had not even considered.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote