View Single Post
Old 2006-03-02, 22:45   Link #51
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
I think the comparisons are warranted. Both go for the same comedic style, and both have that deathly perfect comedic timing. I definitely prefer AzuDa though, mostly because (imo) IM died for some unknown reason in the last 4 episodes. AzuDa was consistantly funny for 26 episodes, but IM could only manage it for 8.

That said, at its best, IM was as good... if not better than AzuDa. It just didn't have the staying power AzuDa did.
For me it was quite the opposite, I thought episodes at the beginning were not as good as the later episodes. (Of course episode 5, where we find that Miu can be teased too much, was the best ep of the series. Poor Miu! ) I particularly liked the slow pacing of the hot summer day episode, and Miu's creativity during the festival episode.

I also prefer AzuDai because of its more dignified portrayal of girls... heck, they didn't even show panties when the girls jumped up and down in cheerleader outfits. It felt like Ichigo Mashimaro had a theme of "look at the pretty young girls, but don't touch" with all of the skin shown.

Also Azumanga Daioh had a lot more characters to fall in love with, though IM went into further depth with the Miu and Chika characters while AD only did Sakaki. Maybe if there were a second season, we would have seen some character development in Matsuri, Nobue, and/or Ana... Ahhhh, that would have been awesome.

IM did do some things better than Azudai, like the absolutely superb voice acting, and no silly dream sequences with the cat god.