View Single Post
Old 2011-06-26, 03:11   Link #154
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Review of Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai by me, up at The Nihon Review
Actually, it's unfair to compare this to Kanon and CLANNAD - not unfair to Anohana, but to Key. If you only consider the works as pure works and disregard the differences between the original games and their anime adaptations, those are really far from the best works of Key - in fact, I'm dare to say Kanon is the most "plain" work of Key (I'm trying to avoid the term "worst" ). They just happened to get the best resources for anime adaptation, comparing to other Key works.

With that said, though, personally I wouldn't compare Anohana to Key works. Most Key works are meant to be epic: tearjerking, giving you heartache, making you feel impacted, etc. I don't see Anohana that way. To me, Anohana is like a sketch that's meant to strike a chord with its audience through an ordinary story, and it certainly stroke one with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Flowers for A Lady

It is argued that the ending of the show didn't resolve all loose ends and didn’t really fix up the issues each of the characters are facing. I agree with this sentiment, but I see it as both as a real presentation of reality rather than a plot fault because, in truth, who would have really managed to fix all their problems at that point. Menma’s death was the beginning of the problems they were forced to face, and meeting her again was really just the first step to personal healing they all would need to go through to finally be able to move on completely. Menma’s appearance managed to put into real perspective each of the issues each character had to face, but she was not the one to cure them. For everything she’s done, her presence merely put them on the road to recovery; she cannot make them travel the road. She made them see the problems they’ve been having since childhood, but she cannot make them face them. At the time it was time for her to leave the second and final time, she had shown them the roads they can travel, but she cannot make them move. They would have to do so themselves.

That is why Jinta’s still struggling to go to school with Anaru. That is why Yukiatsu and Tsuruko still find a bit of awkwardness between them. That is why Poppo is struggling with books he would have studied if he went to school Each one has a road they have to catch up on after time almost stopped for them that time. Menma put their time back into motion, and each one still has a long road ahead of them.
Indeed. Menma's (re)appearance is just to fill in the gap of their lives. She didn't do any magic by resolving everything; in fact, she didn't really do much. She appeared, hanged around for a bit, that's all. It's up to others to get their lives moving again. That's the merit of the show to me.