View Single Post
Old 2007-10-16, 14:19   Link #90
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micchi View Post
As other people have mentioned, it wouldn't be something I'd just bring up randomly in a conversation, especially with someone I'm not that close to. With friends, if they've dropped by my house, they'd know I love anime (computer wallpapers and figurines) and manga (too many shelves to count). If someone asked me if I had any hobbies, I'll say I like Japanese culture (including language, traditions and of course animation). If they asked me specifically whether or not I liked anime, of course I'd say yes.
You pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

In fact, it was EXACTLY what I was going to say, as I very much alike with that description.

Usually you don't need to boast about watching anime of having lots of japanimation merchandise. Usually your friends know about that and that's enough.

What's more... I met 6 years ago a small group of people by forums who liked anime as much as I do and we go out a lot, discos, bars... We gather at least twice a month and we celebrate each and every birthday if it is someone from the group. The group has been growing since then and we are more than 12 people now, and as we say, we gather together a lot (not always all of us, but at least half of them, gathering 12 people in a weekly basis it's not so easy as it seems when it comes to going out).
The point of this is that we behave pretty much like people would call "normal". You don't need to wear cosplays while you walk on the street or behave like an anime character, you just need to love anime, and watch it, that's it. I'm sure COMPREHENSIVE people wouldn't mind having a friend "who watches anime". Lots of people have hobbies, and if you manage yourself to behave like every other person would do, it's not much of a problem.

People who can't understand that aren't even worthy of being called friends, because they fall victims of the prejudice and refuse to see there's more being a person who watches anime, if it was some despective quality.

Last edited by orange.a; 2007-10-16 at 14:30.
orange.a is offline   Reply With Quote