View Single Post
Old 2010-06-06, 19:30   Link #218
anomono

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Again with this "hopelessly broken lives" BS. What a sad perspective on people who have hardships in their lives. My brother still has scars on his neck from the operation that nearly left him voiceless. They might as well just shot him in the face instead of operating on him, right? What a terrible burden it must be to be alive, right? Clearly he should just be crying in a corner over how terrible it must be for him, right?
Excuse me, but being paralyzed is not merely a "hardship." Where does one draw the line? How about being blind, deaf, and mute as well? You would deprive such a person of an alternate reality in which they had a functional body, and condemn them for not wanting to "face reality?" Anyway, here is a hint: it is not your place to draw that line. It is none of your business whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Do you guys even know how offensive this stuff you're spewing really is?
How so? I will grant you that some of them could salvage their lives, but that is beside the point, and ultimately up to the individual--not you. You should think hard about the question which you are asking. It is extremely offensive that you would presume to make other's choices for them.

You need to accept that other people may have values which differ from your own. The next step is to stop imposing your values on others. The manner in which you have been posting is flat out offensive. Moreover, you continue to speak in absolutes. You are welcome to, but you should recognize that you will be wrong nearly 100% of the time, because reality never fits perfectly. At the same time, many people will take offense when you do so.

Anyway, let's take Otonashi as an example, with the usual assumptions about this world. He is currently doing his best to help others, and that in itself could develop into his meaning for existence, and could keep him there indefinitely. Are you going to continue to insist that his life is without meaning because he is not in the "real world?"

As another data point, I would also rather live in such an alternate reality than be confined to a bed for the remainder of my life, and I'm clearly not alone. There is no inherent meaning in life; it is something each person has to find for themselves. There is no reason one can't find that meaning within the alternate SSS reality. Reality is the world within which you exist, not something which you arbitrarily define.

I am making no assumptions about disabled people--just that people should have the right to make their own choices. The interesting point is that this isn't a purely hypothetical argument. In the future, with the aid of technology, it will be possible for people to live in a virtual world should they choose. It is not your place to take that choice away from people, nor condemn them for making it.