View Single Post
Old 2010-08-27, 16:30   Link #71
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoric View Post
In practice there's little-to-no taking time to get things right, and we both know it.

Now, there's certainly advantages to TL and edit giving their work a second pass, but each of these can happen while the next person is busy doing their thing without stopping a 30-hour or even necessarily an 18-hour release. No one's arguing against this; as a translator I've only worked on two projects that didn't want it, and both were for entirely unrelated ("just go to bed you'll be late for work dammit!") reasons.

Otherwise, if there are serious translation/writing problems for the average show after two afternoons of work, your translator or editor is probably not all that good and should consider spending their time studying instead. In this case either there's three or four other groups that are probably better anyway, or worse you're the only one and by not dropping you're discouraging someone competent from picking it up.

The most common mistakes groups make, imo, are slavish literalism and too many cooks spoiling the broth. Not having a tight but flexible deadline for yourself invites both.
In my experience doing things in tandem can cause many mistakes to happen as result of updates not being added in proper order or one person not seeing an update and finding out later it was wrong. But that was my personal experience in the past. Everyone has their own system in the end. Saying there is a correct system for all or going after another persons system is just plain conceited. The speed argument should end at "Our fansubs are done when they are ready, and not before!"(Common statement fansubbers used back in the mircx days). There should not be a universal time table constraint that applies to everyone. As long as your work comes out correct the amount of time it is done in was also correct for that sub team, fast or slow. Don't you think?
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote