View Single Post
Old 2007-05-03, 18:16   Link #13
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

It was the sky theme which attracted me to this series, as I too spend a lot of time photographing the sky. I agree totally with Yorito about it's ever-changing qualities: quite often I've seen a sky I want to photograph but by the time I've got my camera out and fitted the right lens to capture the particular composition the clouds have changed shape or the special quality of the light has gone. So I can sympathise with him rushing out to photograph it like he does.

OTOH since ep.1 I don't think they've done anything special with the sky, AIR was very much more beautiful in that respect, I often felt that the whole mood of AIR was determined by the ever-changing beautiful skies, which reach a climax in the final episode. (In fact when you check the Japanese name for the episode entitled "air", it is "sora", so really the two series AIR and Sola have the same name, but one translates it idiosyncratically, the other romanises it idiosyncratically.)

Another series which features a character who likes photographing the sky is Windy Tales, though in that case the sky photos look like collages of torn up white paper on blue backgrounds, very abstract and not at all evocative of the sentiments being expressed about it. (However I have to say the visual style of Windy Tales was one of the most original I've ever seen in an anime series.)

Close this thread, Open the nexT

Last edited by Samatarou; 2007-05-03 at 18:27.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote