View Single Post
Old 2008-01-27, 20:21   Link #39
danomac
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
The appeal of hardsubs for me, anyway, is that as the encoder, you know what the finished product will look like. Softsubs still have too many inconsistencies in playback across multiple platforms.
As someone who uses linux at home (Windows isn't even installed as dual-boot) I avoid softsubs all the time. Hardsubs always play properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi
MPlayer. It wasn't created yesterday. It's been around awhile. It's had SSA/ASS support for over a year now. [snip]
Yes, MPlayer has had ass/ssa with libass for some time now, but it is far from perfect. The most typical problems I have with softsubs is timing and fonts overlapping. Overriding the font didn't solve the problem. Both are recent encodes from different groups. I rarely run into problems where MPlayer will not play something that's hardsubbed... come to think of it, there was only one in the last two years, and it was an audio sync problem.

I don't know if the groups are creating the mkv properly, but after continuous problems I just avoid softsubs. It's easier. It's frustrating when you want to watch something but the fonts overlap!
danomac is offline   Reply With Quote