View Single Post
Old 2004-12-29, 14:17   Link #54
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
The US is the biggest contributor in terms of aid to third world countries. They contributed 16 billion to the UN's OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) last year. They are also consistently one of the top funders of other projects such as the aids epidemic in africa, food aid, etc... The US ain't stingy. 35 million is most likely going to rise, but even so its not like the US is made of gold. Each country can only provide as much as economically possible and whether you like the Iraq war or not, we also need to continue to provide funds to make sure our soldiers over there don't die. You also need to keep in mind that the US isn't the only one providing monetary aid to those countries affected. Not only are other countries giving economic aid, but people from countries around the world are also making donations to organizations that are providing aid as well.

As for the aftertoll of this event, I am really hoping that they can contain and control diseases like maleria effectively to reduce any possible future deaths. I feel absolutly horrible about this whole event. My best friend is over in Cambodia and I'm crossing my fingers that she didn't lose any family and that she won't be effected by this.

I too am gonna donate some money later today.
Dudet are you for real, I agree america does allocate funds to help the world organization relief overall yearly however right now they aren't putting in all the funds that they can, after so many people dieing you would expect them to pledge around 100,000 million dollars and also start discussing rebuilding. Their are so many people devistated we don't need another samalia on our hands and hearts. Jeez a place like Cambodia doesn't even have a great economy now imagine the after effect of this, these people will have no jobs and no food, their small economy is now gone, they can only hope for relief aid to live off. Grr my University has alot of missionary workers over their, its going to hit us all hard if we hear that anyone is missing or confirmed dead. The schools still hasn't emailed us anything regarding their situation either, they probably don't want us to panic and rush back.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote