View Single Post
Old 2011-01-01, 14:34   Link #21033
Sherringford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Except that Ange was a minor part of the story. She's mentioned briefly in Ep. 1, and otherwise doesn't appear until Ep. 4. Cut her parts out of that, and I think the rest of the episode would flow just fine. Cut the 1986 parts out of Umineko, and what remains is pointless. So declaring Umineko to really be about Ange is completely false.

(Has <u>The Four False Weapons</u> by John Dickson Carr been translated into Japanese? If so, could somebody sent the quote I gave here to RK7?)
I was having some trouble finding the quote because of how animesuki's quoting system works, so here's a copy for people interested in it:

Quote:
"Suppose you are reading a detective story with an intriguing situation. A corpse (let us say) is found strangled, sitting in a chair by a window, and wearing a domino mask; and all the clocks in the house are found with their faces turned to the wall. You are carefully warned that the blazing clue to the truth is the fact that there is a teaspoon in the victim's pocket, and that, without all these things being just as they were, the crime could never have taken place. ... Now, suppose at the denoument the identity of the killer was revealed -- for the simple reason that his fingerprints matched those on the collar of the strangled man. Would you feel cheated? That's exactly what might happen in life; but would you feel cheated? You know damn well you would. ... He admits the crime. Then he shoots himself. Consequently, you never know the significance of the mask or the reversed clocks, or what deduction you should have drawn from the teaspoon. Page 315, 'The End'. What would you do? You would strangle the author, lynch the publisher, and shoot the bookseller.
Thank you rogerpepitone. I was looking for a quotation to express how I was feeling about Umineko as a whole, and thankfully Carr has the answers to everything.

I'm almost certain all Carr novels are available in Japanese, but I could be wrong. I feel tempted to send that quotation to Ryuukishi as well.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote