Thread: Return to anime
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-01, 09:50   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsch View Post
Oh! Edo Rocket is in the lines of Eureka seven? because i really loved this series, the character developement was really good.
No. Rocket has a number of anime in-jokes, one of which is Sora's similarity in appearance to Eureka. I wouldn't suggest this as a starting point for someone unfamiliar with anime; it's exceptionally off-beat. For instance, here's a picture of most of the main cast:

Click image to enlarge.

Since we don't have much information on your girlfriend's tastes, I'd suggest Moribito or Nodame Cantabile. These are both shows that someone unfamiliar with anime might relate to. Moribito has a very impressive heroine; Nodame is a ditz, but a very talented one. Moribito is also streamed at ANN, though only with dubs and ads.

Usually I find it easier to introduce newcomers to anime by watching a movie. Mononoke Hime, Millenium Actress, and Summer Wars are all good bets in a variety of genres. You might also take a look at this thread.

Saiunkoku Monogatari would have made my list, too, but it's no longer being distributed in Region 1. Other stories with strong, though young, heroines and solid character development include Daughter of Twenty Faces and Shion no Ou. Both have some intense violence in a couple of places, if that matters. Claymore and Baccano have a lot more.

Natsume Yuujinchou or Cross Game are other possibilities. Both are streamed with subtitles.

Edit: Looked at the thread I cited above and saw a recommendation for REC, which I'd endorse. It's short, too. The two of you could watch the whole thing in a evening.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-07-01 at 10:24.