View Single Post
Old 2012-02-24, 23:22   Link #24
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'm serious with everything. It's just that I'm very tired of that misinterpretation translation that everyone seems to hold up as canon. Most who have seen the scene wouldn't go thinking "oh, they've had sex!", yet that one for some reason has spread around a lot.

Also, the game is set in the early 1990's, which is not exactly the era when premarital sex was as common as it is now. It's starting from the late 1990's that having experience in middle/high school became a near norm.

Basically, saying they would have sex is just ignoring the historical background, the premise of the game, AND forcing one's bias onto the scenario, never mind ignoring the characters' personalities.
At the risk of derailing this thread, I'd like to address this comment.

Knowing the actual history and reality behind something is good, and I actually support full knowledge of as much as possible before making an opinion on anything (for all parties applicable). On that note, you also have to be able to understand arguments in their most basic forms. Which is that people won't care/don't realize that there WAS an original source to begin with. Therefore, what they see becomes the original source. They don't want to consider personalities etc, they just watch what they watch, enjoy it, and accept it at face value.

Also, in the same vein I'm more willing to agree with grandchaos and say that to a casual viewer in today's society, I'd be more inclined to believe that indeed Haruka and Junichi had sex that night. Heck, for all we know that's what the writers of the show had intended, even with knowledge of the original content. After all, it was instantly followed up with them being married (a scenario where sex was yesterday's news).