View Single Post
Old 2011-06-30, 23:27   Link #914
pancakes
*Author

Walt: In 1952, we were sent up to take out a Chinese machine gun nest. It shredded us up pretty good. I was the only one who came back that day. [opens a chest] Not long after, they gave me a silver star... [pulls it out] Here, I want you to have it.
Thao: Why?
Walt: Well, because we all knew the dangers that night, but we went in anyway. That's the way it might be tonight. There's always a chance you don't come back.
Thao: The hell we won't. We gonna roll up there and test the mags.
Walt: Yeah, that's foolish. That's the exact reaction they're waiting for. Go ahead, close this up. [Walks to the door]
Thao: How many?
Walt: [stops] How many what?
Thao: How many men did you kill in Korea?
Walt: Thirteen, maybe more.
Thao: What was it like to kill a man?
Walt: You don't wanna know. Now close it up.
[He leaves the basement. Thao closes the box, but hears the slam of the door closing and locking. He hurries up and hammers on the door]
Thao: Walt! Walt! What're you doing? What're you doing, huh?
Walt: Relax. You can't get out of there.
Thao: You let me out right now. You fucking let me out or I'll fucking kill you!
Walt: [kicks the door to silence him] Shut the fuck up! You want to know what it's like to kill a man? Well it's goddamn awful, that's what it is. The only thing worse is getting a medal of valour for killing some poor kid that wanted to 'just give up, that's all.' Yeah, some scared little gook just like you. I shot him right in the face with that rifle you were holding in there a while ago. There's not a day goes by that I don't think about it. You don't want that on your soul. But I got blood on my hands. I'm soiled. That's why I'm going it alone tonight. [walks off]
Thao: [hammering on the door again] Walt! You take me with you right now! Let me out!
Walt: [returning] Look, you've come a long way. And I'm proud to say that you're my friend. But you've got your whole life ahead of you. But me, I finish things. That's what I do, and I'm going it alone. [leaves]
Thao: [hysterical] No! Wait! Walt! WALT! WALT! WALT!

From the movie "Gran Torino"

Last edited by pancakes; 2011-07-01 at 13:30.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote