View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 16:42   Link #266
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

I would agree with Renall here, after all, every story begins with a sudden flash of inspiration that you later develop. Personally, every mystery I've ever created starts with a half-baked idea. A potential murderer, or a cool closed room, and then later fill into the blanks until it turns into a story, and in the end read through it again and correct any inaccuracies or put in hints and foreshadowings, but usually the pieces fall to place by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
When I create mysteries, I tend to use the culprit's point of view. It is better (for me)to create closed rooms this way than using the detective's POV. I did this for the first twilight and it took me less time than I thought.
How exactly do you mean that? I mean, isn't the culprit's point of view more like a confession rather than a mystery? Well, a novel which has the culprit of a classic 'Sherlock' case as the main character wouldn't definitely be exceptionally fascinating, but not a mystery. But I suppose you don't mean it that way.

Personally, the best part of writing a mystery (especially a loooong one like Umineko) is the moment where you write the answers and drop the bomb before everyone's face, and then the culprit talks about their sad past and boo-hoo tragic childhood, which is nice, because you get to actually show the pieces that make up a dark character which is fun to write, or perhaps completely deconstruct a character who has managed to trick everyone and appear amiable until that moment.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote