View Single Post
Old 2012-02-23, 00:52   Link #62
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I thought Lebanon and Jordan hated Westerners. Israel isn't very easy about their borders - they shoot anyone coming near them.
Jordan is a Western ally, has been from the first; the government is definitely pro-Western. Lebanon went through a lot, but there's always a pro-Western faction in there (it's a ridiculously diverse and sectarian place for a tiny region; think your own Singapore, except considerably more...potentially violent). A very sizable part of the population outright despise Syria and Assad in particular for his dynasty's meddling in their tragic civil war and the recent Syrian attempts to assert its dominance against the popular, anti-Syrian "Cedar Revolution" movement.

I'm actually curious what the Lebanese are thinking about the civil war unleashed across their borders. Schadenfreude? Solidarity? Grave worries of spillovers? ROFLMAO? Die Assad die?

But Syria's got a long border anyway. Get in a truck and ride across the desert if you want to try. Tell the rebels you're there to expose the evil government or something, hope you don't run into veteran Islamist militants from Iraq, and hide if you see government soldiers. It's not impossible for experienced journalists with enough crazy or conviction to go through with it.

Problem is, nobody guarantees you'll live through it.

But I think they're doing noble work, if not entirely sane. Someone must be there to observe, remember, and record the, face it, mass graves and atrocities. A civil war is never kind...

Even so, die already Assad. Someone's got a stray cruise missile to spare they accidentally let loose?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote