View Single Post
Old 2012-02-16, 09:31   Link #52
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you want to learn animation as a hobby, you should just save your money by learning from the internet, youtube and such. Courses don't train you to become a good animator, they just teach you how to use the tools, which you can learn better from experienced professionals on the net. And if you want to seriously learn animation, you'll need to learn from actual good schools with people that had real experience in the industry, if not you'll just be wasting time.

Also no animator should live without The Animator's Survival Kit, its the bible of animation. It used to be the Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas of the Nine Old Men's The Illusion of Life. The Nine Old Men of Disney are the people who created modern animation, set down the 12 principles of animation. Anime is considered inferior animation technically because of the lack of application of the principles, there's simply too little budget and much less effort put into animating anime compared to alot of high budget productions. And don't buy those 'how to draw manga/anime' books, they won't help much, you can learn those stuff online as well.

There are tons of guides on youtube, deviantart and many forums. My lecturers, one worked in Disney for many years, the other worked on many Hollywood films, including Lord of The Rings, they all learned 3D software, Maya and Python script by themselves, and they had no internet help back then. But my Disney lecturer was taught by one of the best drawing artists back then, he was picked off the streets literally by Disney. Drawing skill is essential to animators, draw everything you see, have solid and consistent lines. You must be able to draw a curve in one stroke, draw straight lines in any direction, have line sensitivity, know where the lines need to be thick or thin. Its all hardwork.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote